Monday, August 29, 2011

VISION

This is one of my daughters. She has a pretty uncanny knack sometimes of seeing things with perfect clarity; much more than others. On this particular day, she was checking out traffic with her homemade binoculars.

What do you see, bubby boo?

A cherry red Ferrari. Like the one I’m going to have when I am old.

Really. Well, I…I guess that would be nice if that could happen, honey.

Binoculars go down. She blinks and turns her head slightly. Will happen, mama. Will. Don’t you know that?

I don’t know things the way she does. I hope for, I pray for, I work for, I do many verbs to try to know things, but really I don’t know much at all. The hows and whys of things perpetually escape me; most of them centered around human behavior. There isn’t a day that passes that I don’t wonder why on earth someone would do – or not do – something. Often times I ask myself that with a very hurt heart.

I’m going to try my daughters approach for just a day and see what happens.

I’m just going to know that it will be ok, that it will be good. I’d better learn how to drive a stick shift; I think that’s the only way one should drive a cherry red Ferrari.

No comments: